Pages

24 February 2010

Flashing Drip Edges

Picked up a special order for the special ridge cap & drip edges that go along the opening side of the roof. Henry's Mechanical were real nice to deal with. I said thanks so much for their straight talking (because I have to deal with a lot of shit since some men look at me like I'm speaking a different language when I enter a hardware store).

The ridge cap was beautiful, but unfortunately, someone mistakenly made it in 24 rather than 20 gauge. They were gracious about it being their mistake and I will go pick up the 20 gauge cap tomorrow morning.

These two things are the only custom things I've purchased. Very clear they needed to be made, and I considered doing it myself, just buying the sheet metal and bending it. Seeing as how I don't have the right tools and they aren't falling into my lap, I feel good about doing some local business. That's not to say it's a clean right livelihood sort of feeling, this is me in the steel mining world. It's also me in a house that'll stay dry over time. So... here I stand: destructive.

When I got home tonight, though feeling a bit sick, I used the last bit of light to sink in the corrugation on the opening side of the roof, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. The flashing's all on and looks just how I'd imagined it.

Next up, I'll need to finish all the exterior siding, really finish, get the corner trim on, get the gutters and downspouts on, cut in place the roof on the opening side (it'll be very short so it doesn't interfere with the gutter)... but first priority is finishing the interior walls so I can move in already! DAmn.

Neighbor Eric came by and we had a nice talk, like usual. Neighbors are so important for a healthy life. Anyhow, I was talking about how I didn't feel like putting in nailers all over the place for the interior walls and how I thought just to tack in diagonally would do fine. He agreed and lent me his finish stapler, staples, and air compressor to use tomorrow. I can't wait to wake up and get tacking.



There is some joy in tax season.
But I'll be glad to have the day off to work on this house tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment