10 March 2010

That would explain the nausea.

I'm doing a little research on Copper sulfate, which I think is what the exterior boards on my house are inundated with. The same boards I planed down to use for the interior. This wasn't a great option by way of low-toxicity. On the other hand, it was free. ...funny how that works. Anyhow, more on that later. For now, I want to note some of my findings from Wikipedia.

Mainly, I leared that copper sulfate is an emetic, a vomit inducer. "An emetic is used medically where a substance has been ingested and must be expelled from the body immediately (for this reason, many toxic and easily digestible products such as rat poison contain an emetic). Inducing vomiting can remove the substance before it is absorbed into the body. Ipecac abuse can cause detrimental health effects.

"Salt water and mustard water have been used since ancient times as emetics.[4] Care must be taken with salt, as excessive intake can potentially be harmful.[5][6]

"Copper sulfate was also used in the past as an emetic.[7][8] It is now considered too toxic for this use.[9]"

Furthermore, and noteable since I just had a little bout of pink eye, "Eye contact with copper sulfate can cause conjunctivitis."

After reading the following, I can say: luckily, I still need to urinate often. "After 1-12 grams of copper sulfate are swallowed, such poisoning signs may occur as a metallic taste in the mouth, burning pain in the chest, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, discontinued urination, which leads to yellowing of the skin. In case of copper sulfate poisoning, injury to the brain, stomach, liver, kidneys may also occur."

This makes me very interested in finding a local science student/person who would be interested in taking a little sample of my wood's green dust to determine what it is. Or if someone recoginizes it and knows some context, please leave a comment.

This also makes me realize the care I must take so this material isn't able to reach food sources etc. and even further skin contact.

1 comment:

  1. I image when you write copper sulfate, you are referring to pressure treated wood which is actually made with Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA-C),. Being a carpenter for many years, I have experienced minor symptoms using PT, but luckily I have never experienced the other symptoms you have stated.

    I have always been careful when handling and working with PT along with explaining to my customers the dangers of PT and how they should avoid allowing their children and pets from laying and sitting on decking.

    It sounds to me that you are hyper-sensitive to Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA-C), and maybe should re-think rapping your house in this material.

    In addition, Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA-C), is very corrosive to regular fasteners. It is recommended that you use either Stainless Steel or hot dipped galvanize fasteners otherwise you will have trouble with product failure.

    If I misunderstood your post, never mind but I enjoy your Blog. My family and I are planning on moving to the foothills of the Ozarks and building our own home. Keep building, you are an inspiration to all that want to live in something they built themselves.

    ReplyDelete